[ntp:questions] Test ntpd performance

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Sun Sep 26 16:12:58 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-26, R C <rc_work at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your prompt response.
>
> My main intension of this scalability testing is to find out
>
> 1. how long it takes for the ntpd server to serve 100,000 clients.

HOwever long it takes those clients to send the requests.

> 2. What is the rate at which the server can process client requets.
>
> So, to test the above, I want to be able to simulate a 100,000 clients so i can

Why? Is this some theoretic query or do you really anticiplate servicing
100000 clients. And where are they coming from?

> hit my ntpd server with these 100,000 client requests. Please let me know if you
> have more questions.

Over the past 10 years I have probably serviced 100000 client requests.
No problem. But that may not be what you meant. Note that the question
is one of networking, switches, etc far more than it is a question of
ntpd. It is like asking how many clients a fast food restaraunt can
service without mentioning it is at the end of a 10 mile muddy mountain
road.