[ntp:questions] Test ntpd performance

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Sun Sep 26 16:33:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:23:11AM -0700, R C wrote:
> I want to test the performance of the ntpd server. Are there any free/open
> source ntp clients that measure the server scalability? Thanks in advance for
> your help.

Not as good as would be a special ntp client, but you can generate ntp
traffic with tcpdump and tcpreplay. First record an NTP query (e.g.
from ntpdate -p 1) with tcpdump and then you can replay it at specified
packet rate with tcpreplay.

Note that ntpd tends to drop packets before the CPU is fully loaded so
you need to compare the outgoing and incoming packet rate to be sure
it's replying to all queries.

--
Miroslav Lichvar