[ntp:questions] Sure Electronics GPS board: Amazing performance. :-)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Apr 1 09:47:11 UTC 2011

"unruh" <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:slrnipapga.co8.unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca...
[]
> Using a soldering iron on surface mount devices is a bit trickier-- too
> easy to bridge the pins is you do not have very steady hands. Not saying
> you cannot do it. But Joe Bloggs might have more trouble.

I would certainly /not/ count myself as one who is able to solder
surface-mount devices, I don't have the tools required for one thing.  But
in this case you are soldering to the device leads, which are over 1mm
apart, so it's not too bad.  Just take a little care, and be sure to use a
fine tip.  You could even try sending the CMOS-level signal down the
RS-232 cable, and then it's just regular soldering, no connections to
devices required.

I've done a couple of these boards now, and the soldering isn't an issue.
I'm over 60, by the way.

Cheers,
David