[ntp:questions] Sure Electronics GPS board: Amazing performance. :-)

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Fri Apr 1 21:50:10 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-01, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "unruh" <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> news:slrnipapga.co8.unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca...
> []
>> Using a soldering iron on surface mount devices is a bit trickier-- too
>> easy to bridge the pins is you do not have very steady hands. Not saying
>> you cannot do it. But Joe Bloggs might have more trouble.
>
> I would certainly /not/ count myself as one who is able to solder
> surface-mount devices, I don't have the tools required for one thing.  But
> in this case you are soldering to the device leads, which are over 1mm

The spacing between the leads is less than that. The chances of creating
a solder bridge is non-negligible.

> apart, so it's not too bad.  Just take a little care, and be sure to use a
> fine tip.  You could even try sending the CMOS-level signal down the
> RS-232 cable, and then it's just regular soldering, no connections to
> devices required.

Agreed.

> I've done a couple of these boards now, and the soldering isn't an issue.
> I'm over 60, by the way.>

Which route did you take-- PPS pin to RS232 (CMOS level)  or via the buffers/inverters?

All I am pointing out to people who might regard the sure board as a
really cheap path, but do not have the soldering skills is to beware. If
anyone feels that they can solder to surface mount devices, and have the
tools (really fine, temp controlled soldering iron), go for it. It is a
cheap way of getting accurate time. And the usb power in and NMEA output
are really nice.