[ntp:questions] Sure Electronics GPS board: Amazing performance. :-)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Apr 2 05:30:52 UTC 2011

"unruh" <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:slrnipci4i.3la.unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca...
[]
> Which route did you take-- PPS pin to RS232 (CMOS level)  or via the
> buffers/inverters?
>
> All I am pointing out to people who might regard the sure board as a
> really cheap path, but do not have the soldering skills is to beware. If
> anyone feels that they can solder to surface mount devices, and have the
> tools (really fine, temp controlled soldering iron), go for it. It is a
> cheap way of getting accurate time. And the usb power in and NMEA output
> are really nice.

I used the inverter and RS-232 level convertor route, as shown on my Web
site:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

The two wires required are clearly shown.  Certainly if you (or a friend,
or a workplace or local TV repair shop) don't have skills or soldering
equipment, it's not a project for you, but you don't need special
surface-mount soldering equipment.  A little care and fine soldering tip
are required.  Any one who might be interested can look at:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/sure-GPS-top-modification.jpg

 and make their own judgement.

Cheers,
David