[ntp:questions] Help getting IRIG working

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Apr 3 03:18:23 UTC 2011

Chris & Co.,

The usual problem is overdriving the computer input.. Most IRIG devices
produce a modulated signal in the range 10 V P-P, which is far larger
than the line-in level. You might need an attenuator to produce in the
order of 1 V P-P. As Chris says, the best way is to monitor the line out
signal using the computer speaker. With a little practice, it is
possible to slowly increase the input level until the speaker changes
tone or becomes raspy. The bottom line is to monitor the AGC signal with
that trace and bracket the input signal so the AGC reads in the middle
of the range about 127.

Dave

Dave