[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.6p3 multicast server not visible in orphan peer to peer mode?

Wu, Bailey Bailey.Wu at thalesgroup.com.au
Wed Apr 6 05:45:23 UTC 2011

I'm running ntp in an isolated small network. All nodes on the network can be considered as 100% trusted. So no security/authentication required. I thought the broadcast command with a multicast address configures the server as a multicast (manycast) server?

I basically want the following behaviour, Server1 acts as the master ntp server, with Server2 as backup (or vice versa). All clients should synchronise to one server and fail over to the second server if one server goes down.

At the moment I've tried many different configuration without much success. With the orphan mode configuration below I get this strange multicast problem and Server2 getting rejected by all clients due to peer_loop detection.
Using the undisciplined local clock configuration (see ***), Server2 rejects Server1 as a source due to peer_loop detection. The only way I can stop this is to use the noselect option for Server2, but then Server2 does not fall back on it's local clock if Server1 goes down.

***
Server1
--------------------------
server 127.127.1.0