[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.6p3 multicast server not visible in orphan peer to peer mode?

Wu, Bailey Bailey.Wu at thalesgroup.com.au
Thu Apr 7 02:59:41 UTC 2011

Thanks for the explanation Steve.

To answer some of your questions:

I didn't use manycastserver as I didn't think it would work with the 3.5f HPUX clients.
Once I get access to those clients I'll be able to verify.

As to the 'true' option; this is to mark the server as a truechimer.
Normally I would not use this, but there have been tests with our setup where
the clients marked both servers as falsetickers and refuse to synchronise with any.
I thought it would be a good option to use to stop clients from ever marking the servers
as falsetickers.

The maxpoll is just to stop ntp from increasing the poll interval. Just so I could see
the poll happening without waiting for too long.

I find that with the 'prefer' option server2 will sync with server1 faster. Without it
server2 would just stay with it's local reference clock and mark server1 as a candidate.
Eventually it would probably sync with server1.

I find that with orphan mode server2 operates without being sync'd to anything (server1 being down),
but the clients cannot ntpdate to a server that is not synchronised to anything.
clients may well start with times wildly different to that of the servers, hence when started
a script will ntpdate to any reachable servers.

I initially used the reference setup in the following tutorial for server1 and 2
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/UndisciplinedLocalClock

but it does not work when both servers are connected, since the refid will be the same
and server2 will reject server1 as a loop. So I changed from 127.127.1.0 in server2
to 127.127.1.1, which works nicely.

Also, the orphan line does not seem to make a difference whether its there or not.

I am using lower stratum numbers because the network is isolated, and will never operate
with any outside networks or with any other time source (for the life of the network).
When I said isolated I really mean it :P