[ntp:questions] Sure GPS: Programming it now works

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Fri Apr 8 08:13:02 UTC 2011

unruh wrote:
> On 2011-04-07, Uwe Klein<uwe at klein-habertwedt.de>  wrote:
>> unruh wrote:
>>> Somewhat more awkward than Terje's program, but it works.
>>>
>> I've collected a bit of information
>> 	http://wiederlinge.de/cgi-bin/lnwiki.cgi/147
>> and wrote a basic parser script:
>> 	http://wiederlinge.de/cgi-bin/lnwiki.cgi/150
>>
>> Terje added some info too.
>>
>> I will add the commands stuff to my script
>> in ~10days. no time now.
>>
>> Feel free to add.
>
> Actually a more complete set of instructions that can be sent under the
> MTK protocol is in
> gpsd.googlecode.com/files/MTK_NMEA_Packet_0.71_Sanav.pdf

Thanks!

> I of course have no idea which of these are actually valid for the
> particular chipset that the Sure board uses.
> This list includes the command  251($PMTK251) --change serial bitrate command,

This is the one I got by reverse engineering (sniffing) the java
program, nice to see it documented.

>   missing from the ETEK list. It also includes a rich set of Datum for the models used.
> I do not know if the Sure can be changed from the WGS1984 Datum, in case
> anyone might want to use, for example, number 147 -- Old Egyptian(1907)
> datum instead.

I have tested and verified that at least my Sure board does not allow me
to ask for most of the 19 NMEA sentences listed in the 314 command:
Turning on all actually resulted in 5 or 6.

I'll try again after first setting the board to 38400 baud. (Maybe it
only allows those sentences that actually fit inside the output window?)

The 590 returns the flash information, I suspect that this means that
there is also a 390 to program it (including baud rate) and a 490 to
query the current flash status, giving the 590 info as a response.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>