[ntp:questions] Sure GPS: Programming it now works

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Fri Apr 8 20:50:18 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-08, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>> a more complete set of instructions that can be sent under
>>  the MTK protocol is in
>> <gpsd.googlecode.com/files/MTK_NMEA_Packet_0.71_Sanav.pdf>
>
> There is slightly newer one here:
><www.rigacci.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/doc/appunti/hardware/gps/mtk_nmea_packet_0.8_transystem.pdf>

Yes, I have that one too. The main change seems to be a Huge MTK
CONFIDENTIAL NO DISCLOSURE Release Version for Transystem  in English and
Chinese plastered across every page.

> LeadTek, (I have used several thousand of their chips)
>  appears to also have a newer one:
><ftp://ftp.leadtek.com.tw/gps/9023/LeadtekNMEAProtocolManualforMTKV1.0.pdf>

Nope. They list a far smaller set of commands than does the SATEV of
Transcend. (20 commands vs 35 in the other lists. Of course I have not
checked to make sure that the Sure responds to all those extra commands)

>> the Sure chip does seem to respond to a number of those commands.
>
>  <http://gpsd.berlios.de/NMEA.txt>

That is not of much help for the MTK commands.

>  <http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm>
>
> I would have thought the SKG16B datasheet or manual would
>  have told you all you need to know about supported commands.
> <www.skylab.com.cn/download.html>
> <sure-electronics.net/download/index.php?name=GP-GS010>

Nope.

>  However the most recent datasheets for the SKG16B,
>   at first glance seems like they might be a bit lacking
>   in full protocol information;  Skylab didn't seem to
>   have a separate protocol doc either, (to cover their
>   proprietary "custom protocol" commands).

I guess they take the MTK proprietary claims seriously. And stupidly.