[ntp:questions] Sure GPS: Programming it now works

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Fri Apr 8 21:09:40 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-08, unruh <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2011-04-08, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:
>> unruh wrote:
>>> a more complete set of instructions that can be sent under
>>>  the MTK protocol is in
>>> <gpsd.googlecode.com/files/MTK_NMEA_Packet_0.71_Sanav.pdf>
>>
>> There is slightly newer one here:
>><www.rigacci.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/doc/appunti/hardware/gps/mtk_nmea_packet_0.8_transystem.pdf>
>
> Yes, I have that one too. The main change seems to be a Huge MTK
> CONFIDENTIAL NO DISCLOSURE Release Version for Transystem  in English and
> Chinese plastered across every page.
>

>> LeadTek, (I have used several thousand of their chips)
>>  appears to also have a newer one:
>><ftp://ftp.leadtek.com.tw/gps/9023/LeadtekNMEAProtocolManualforMTKV1.0.pdf>
>
> Nope. They list a far smaller set of commands than does the SATEV of
> Transcend. (20 commands vs 35 in the other lists. Of course I have not
> checked to make sure that the Sure responds to all those extra commands)

Actually, on looking more closely, Leadtek  do have one command listed
nowhere else
221 PMTK_SET_INTMT -- set the system to run intermittently. You can
set it up to wake up for say 1/2 sec and obtain a fix, and then go to
sleep for up to 86 sec before it wakes up again and repeats. No idea if
the Sure supports that command or not, and I do not really want to test
it.

The example is
$PMTK221,5000,10000*07<CR><LF>
which has the machine wake up for 5 sec (5000ms) and then sleep for 5
sec. The second argument is the total time of run plus sleep. each in
msec. (The second interval must be less than 86400 ms)

There may be some overlap with PMTK320-- Power save mode, but the docs
do not say at all what this power save mode is all about, and anyway,
they say (Caution:This command is for internal test only) for 320.