[ntp:questions] new driver development

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sat Apr 9 23:51:47 UTC 2011

In article <4DA0C50F.3050505 at comcast.net>,
 "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>On 4/9/2011 12:55 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

>> Is there any way to test to see if a mutex has been initialized?

>You initialize your mutex BEFORE it is needed.

Right.  But consider the case of ntpd and gpsd.

Who initializes it?  Even if you say "You must start X before Y"
(which looks pretty ugly to me) you need something to cover the
case where you start X, it initializes the mutex, you start Y,
and now you want to restart X.  This time, it can't initialize
the mutex because Y may be using it.