[ntp:questions] NTPD can take 10 hours to achieve stability

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Mon Apr 18 23:10:34 UTC 2011

At 03:51 PM 4/18/2011, Harlan Stenn wrote...
>David wrote:
> > Well, if Linux is that badly behaved (altering its clock on each
> > boot), I would have said that was an OS defect which needed
> > correction, not altering ntpd to accommodate faulty software!
>
>I think, and I am really not sure, that the linux kernel calibrates
>its
>clock on each boot, and that calibration can be different in the
>low-order bit (or few) each time.

Yes, and that's what makes it broken. While it certainly doesn't effect
most users, it does some. At a minimum, there should be a mechanism to
find out what (clock divisors?) the kernel has used for calibration,
and lock them in for use with subsequent boots. Maybe there is, but
after searching for a while, I couldn't find any way to do that.