[ntp:questions] NTPD can take 10 hours to achieve stability

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Mon Apr 18 22:48:16 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-18, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>> C BlacK wrote:
>>> Why would it take ntpd ten hours to achieve its accuracy?
>>  chrony which operates much more rapidly
>
> ... and then there is radclock, which is supposed to beat
>  ntpd, chrony and PTP in convergence & stability?

Since they do not test it against chrony, from what I can see, It is
unclear why you say it beats it. In fact I suspect it would not.
But it would be a nice experiment to try.

Note that I ran chrony and compared chrony over an ADSL line from an ntpd
server fed from a GPS with a local GPS, and chrony gave accuracies of
the order of 10us, just as they are getting.