[ntp:questions] NTPD can take 10 hours to achieve stability

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 19 05:32:44 UTC 2011

"unruh" <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:slrniqpa40.ppu.unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca...
[]
> Well, I think someone other than the current maintainers will have to
> port it to windows. Since windows timekeeping is not the worlds best
> anyway, it is probably true that the extra accuracy of chrony is
> unnecessary. It does have a command line option "like ntpq -p"
> provided by chronyc (depending on what you mean by "like").
> What MRTG is I do not know.
>
> If you are happy with ntpd, by allmeans stay with it.

A pity that chrony will not be offered for Windows, at least for tests to
see whether it lives up to its claims.  There are times when a more rapid
convergence would be welcome, such as the reboot of PC Molde around 13:30
yesterday:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/molde_ntp-b.html

MRTG is a standard logging tool for network I/O which uses SNMP to produce
the graphs I have quoted here many times for network throughput and
timekeeping:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_network.php
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

I've written how to extend MRTG to monitor NTP timekeeping, and various
other parameters such as disk space and temperature here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTPandMRTG.html
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_howto.php

>From chronyc I would need to be able to use a simple Perl script to
extract the numbers to be plotted - such as the Offset in the graphs
above.  An easy job if the format is standardised and machine readable.

Cheers,
David