[ntp:questions] NTPD can take 10 hours to achieve stability

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Apr 20 19:42:51 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, David Lord  <dlord at lordynet.org> said:
>There are designs for temperature control of the motherboard
>xtal and alternative of using an external 14.31818 MHz clock
>source. Some of my motherboards even have an external source
>connector.

I have one server (really an old desktop motherboard turned to personal
server use) that holds consistent drift, even when the temperature
fluctuates (we had an air conditioner fail last week).  The drift file
consistently shows -0.2xx (-0.217 at the moment).  I guess it is just
blind luck that this mboard crystal is better than most?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>