[ntp:questions] NTPD can take 10 hours to achieve stability

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Wed Apr 20 21:05:46 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-20, David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> wrote:
> unruh wrote:

>>> I'm on ADSL-1 with 2 Mbit/s down and 288 kbit/s up. Latency
>>> is what BT delivers and has been as low as 12ms up to 50ms or
>>> more but mostly it's about 18ms to nearest sites (when exchange
>>> gets near capacity the latency jumps up by 15ms or more same as
>>> when interleave is enabled on ADSSL-2).
>>>
>>> Although the peaks of the graph are at about 1ms the stats
>>> have "System time" mostly being in the 10s of usec.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by that. What I mean is , what are the measured
>> offsets? (Of course if you have a GPS PPS that you could use as a
>> reference-- not a source of time-- that would make much clearer what is
>> going on.)
>
> My logs have eg:
> Reference ID    : me6000g
> Stratum         : 2
> Ref time (UTC)  : Sat Jan  9 07:12:02 2010
> System time     : 0.000001 seconds slow of NTP time

OK, that is the kind of thing chrony should do. Ie, to discipline the
system clock to usec levels

> Frequency       : 0.125 ppm fast

That is a really small drift rate. Just lucky I guess.

> Residual freq   : -0.010 ppm
> Skew            : 0.223 ppm
So the frequency is really pretty stable.

> Root delay      : 0.001297 seconds
> Root dispersion : 0.007492 seconds

That is a huge root delay and dispersion. Where are your servers?

> I've not yet checked all of the systems that were tried
> with chrony but these servers are all in use so it's not
> easy to just install chrony and expect it to work.

Sure it is. Just install it, configure it and start it ( switching off
ntpd first). Of course if your server is supposed to keep really good
time all the time, then this might cause some initial problems as you
switch over.