[ntp:questions] NTPD can take 10 hours to achieve stability

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Wed Apr 20 20:34:25 UTC 2011

David Lord wrote:
> unruh wrote:

>>> I'm on ADSL-1 with 2 Mbit/s down and 288 kbit/s up. Latency
>>> is what BT delivers and has been as low as 12ms up to 50ms or
>>> more but mostly it's about 18ms to nearest sites (when exchange
>>> gets near capacity the latency jumps up by 15ms or more same as
>>> when interleave is enabled on ADSSL-2).
>>>
>>> Although the peaks of the graph are at about 1ms the stats
>>> have "System time" mostly being in the 10s of usec.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by that. What I mean is , what are the measured
>> offsets? (Of course if you have a GPS PPS that you could use as a
>> reference-- not a source of time-- that would make much clearer what is
>> going on.)
>
> My logs have eg:
> Reference ID    : me6000g
> Stratum         : 2
> Ref time (UTC)  : Sat Jan  9 07:12:02 2010
> System time     : 0.000001 seconds slow of NTP time
> Frequency       : 0.125 ppm fast
> Residual freq   : -0.010 ppm
> Skew            : 0.223 ppm
> Root delay      : 0.001297 seconds
> Root dispersion : 0.007492 seconds
>

> I've not yet checked all of the systems that were tried
> with chrony but these servers are all in use so it's not
> easy to just install chrony and expect it to work.
>

> David

>>> There is nothing in that session but later graphs now
>>> wrapped (as in loops around after a year) showed much
>>> worse offset variations than the systems using ntpd at
>>> which point I went back to using ntpd.

Now found the period when chrony became worse than ntpd

<http://www.lordynet.org.uk/mrtg/stats/p4x2400c_ntp-month.png>

Graphs for other systems over same period have wrapped around
so not available but they were unchanged from previous weeks
however with chrony the change was very noticeable the offsets
went from being much less than ntpd to very much more. When
ntpd was re-enabled there were no problems and the system
behaved same as before chrony was tried.

David