[ntp:questions] ntp server specs

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Thu Apr 21 02:48:21 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-21, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 4/20/2011 8:51 PM, unruh wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> It's reasonable to expect NTPD to track the correct time within 10
>>> milliseconds or better using a server that is close to you in *Net
>>
>> More like 10-100us.
>
> Ten to one hundred microseconds over the net is a rare bird indeed.  At
> least it is here in the Philadelphia area.

I was getting it on an adsl line at home from the U.

> Performance is MUCH better between 2:00AM and 5:00AM local time.  Delays
> are fewer and there is less "phase noise".
>
><snip>
>
> I use a GPS Timing Receiver that gets me within 50 ns. of the correct
> time.  Of course that gets a little muddled while it wends its way into
> my computer.

I do not know what this means. The time is accurate to withing better
than 10ns on the GPs sattelite.-- things just get a little muddled while
it wends its way onto your computer.
We are talking about ntp, and getting it into the computer is what it is
all about. What time can you discipline your computer time to.

> Anything around here that's smart enough to know about time has a
> reasonable approximation to the correct time.

Define reasonable.