[ntp:questions] ntp server specs

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 14:05:14 UTC 2011

On 4/20/2011 10:48 PM, unruh wrote:
> On 2011-04-21, Richard B. Gilbert<rgilbert88 at comcast.net>  wrote:

>>> More like 10-100us.
>>
>> Ten to one hundred microseconds over the net is a rare bird indeed.  At
>> least it is here in the Philadelphia area.
>
> I was getting it on an adsl line at home from the U.
>

>> Performance is MUCH better between 2:00AM and 5:00AM local time.  Delays
>> are fewer and there is less "phase noise".
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I use a GPS Timing Receiver that gets me within 50 ns. of the correct
>> time.  Of course that gets a little muddled while it wends its way into
>> my computer.
>
> I do not know what this means. The time is accurate to withing better
> than 10ns on the GPs sattelite.-- things just get a little muddled while
> it wends its way onto your computer.
> We are talking about ntp, and getting it into the computer is what it is
> all about. What time can you discipline your computer time to.

The typical computer is not designed for precision timekeeping!!  The
latency from the "tick" to the computer's clock is not necessarily
fixed, nor is it easy to measure.

When I look at my computer's "clock" it tells me the time to the nearest
second.  NTPD is more precise but not usefully so for most things that I
do.  I live my life with minutes, hours, days, etc.

NTPD will tell me the time to the nearest 50 or 100 nanoseconds but I'm
generally satisfied with the correct minute.

There are people to whom nanoseconds are important; I'm just not one of
them.