[ntp:questions] Windows time question.

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Thu Apr 21 19:59:58 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-21, Hal Murray <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote:
>>I would have hoped that the pool folk kept their documentation up-to-date,
>>so I'll post that on their list.  You didn't mention how to control the
>>number of servers uses - is it just multiple "pool" entries?
>
> You only need one pool command.
>   pool <server-name>
> will use as many addresses from server-name as it needs.

" as it needs" is a bit vague.

> If it doesn't get enough with the first DNS lookup, it will try
> again in a minute or so, and keep trying until it gets enough.
>
> The default is to collect 10 servers.

Ah. OK. I would say that is far more than it needs. Or is there really a
feeling that that high a percentage of the pool servers are pretty
useless (ie up to 4 of the servers will not be very good).

> If you don't like that, you need to add something like:
>   tos maxclock 5

I am glad there is a way of specifying what you think your needs are.
This definitely needs to be in the docs.