[ntp:questions] NTPD can take 10 hours to achieve stability

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 21 22:09:16 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> said:
>It's more likely to be the case and ventilation fan.  If the quartz
>crystal is kept at a more or less constant temperature, the oscillator
>will maintain a more or less uniform output frequency.

No, the temperature hasn't been very stable lately; like I said, we had
an A/C failure last week, and the system temperature went up by over 10
degrees F.  I also have lots of other servers in the room, and none of
them save a drift anything like this one (next best is -28).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>