[ntp:questions] Windows time question.

Rob nomail at example.com
Fri Apr 22 07:22:03 UTC 2011

Hal Murray <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote:
>>I would have hoped that the pool folk kept their documentation up-to-date,
>>so I'll post that on their list.  You didn't mention how to control the
>>number of servers uses - is it just multiple "pool" entries?
>
> You only need one pool command.
>   pool <server-name>
> will use as many addresses from server-name as it needs.
> If it doesn't get enough with the first DNS lookup, it will try
> again in a minute or so, and keep trying until it gets enough.
>
> The default is to collect 10 servers.

If I were involved in the pool I would call that abuse!

The pool DNS lookup now returns 3 servers, used to be 5.
When everyone uses 10 servers the load on the pool as a whole is
twice what it would need to be, and 3 times what would be the minimum
reasonable value.

Do the pool managers know that it works that way?