[ntp:questions] Using two NTP Server: Bad?

Roger invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Apr 22 09:48:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:32:21 -0400, "Richard B. Gilbert"
<rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

>One server: if it fails you have nothing!
>Two servers: If the two differ, which one do you believe?
>Three servers: degenerates too easily to the two server case.
>Four servers: Allows the failure of one server.
>Five servers: Allows the failure of two.
>Seven servers: Allows the failure of three.

I've seen these number quoted before and I don't understand
the last one. Why doesn't 6 allow for the failure of 3? Why
doesn't 7 allow for the failure of 4? Assuming that this
wasn't a mistake in the dim and distant past which keeps
on being repeated what am I missing?
--
Roger