[ntp:questions] Windows time question.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Apr 23 08:38:40 UTC 2011

"Rob" <nomail at example.com> wrote in message
news:slrnir52mv.hnj.nomail at xs8.xs4all.nl...
[]
> Why is this irrelevant discussion started every time some topic is
> being discyssed in this newsgroup?
> It does not matter what the initial question is, what problem someone
> tries to solve, what requirements he has, what limitations he may have,
> what possibilities there are in solving the issue at hand, there is
> always someone who brings up the #$%^@$@ GPS receiver and starts
> boasting
> the price it may be acquired for.
>
> Please people, please grow up.

Rob,

GPS/PPS is, perhaps, the most used reference source for stratum-1 clocks
with NTP, so they are hardly "irrelevant", and for the OP who wants
reliable time when away from the office, a portable GPS receiver may be a
candidate solution.  For many folk, those paying out of their own pockets,
the cost matters.

Having said that, I have already made my suggestion to the OP based on
what I do myself - to use NTP and the pool servers.

Cheers,
David