[ntp:questions] Windows time question.

Rob nomail at example.com
Sat Apr 23 08:47:54 UTC 2011

David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "Rob" <nomail at example.com> wrote in message
> news:slrnir52mv.hnj.nomail at xs8.xs4all.nl...
> []
>> Why is this irrelevant discussion started every time some topic is
>> being discyssed in this newsgroup?
>> It does not matter what the initial question is, what problem someone
>> tries to solve, what requirements he has, what limitations he may have,
>> what possibilities there are in solving the issue at hand, there is
>> always someone who brings up the #$%^@$@ GPS receiver and starts
>> boasting
>> the price it may be acquired for.
>>
>> Please people, please grow up.
>
> Rob,
>
> GPS/PPS is, perhaps, the most used reference source for stratum-1 clocks
> with NTP, so they are hardly "irrelevant", and for the OP who wants
> reliable time when away from the office, a portable GPS receiver may be a
> candidate solution.  For many folk, those paying out of their own pockets,
> the cost matters.
>
> Having said that, I have already made my suggestion to the OP based on
> what I do myself - to use NTP and the pool servers.

The initial question:
| Due to my wandering use of a laptop for, "work" (cough!)   Often away
| from the office, and our server, but with local internet access (Hotel
| WiFi etc).
|
| What UK based "RELIABLE" (cant emphasize that enough) UK time server(s)
| would the group recomend I point Windows time sync' to?

and the subsequent discussion about the NTP pool and its reliability,
and how many servers from the pool one would resonably use to get good
results without overloading a voluntarily provided service, is a good
and valid discussion on its own.

There is no need to pollute that discussion by talking about GPS receivers
yet again.  It is not a solution for the original poster, and it does
not contribute to the discussion about either of the topics brought up.

You may be exited about your new GPS receiver toy, but there is no need
to recommend that hammer as the only tool one will ever need.  It isn't.