[ntp:questions] Bug 1700 - Clock drifts excessively at polling levels above 256.

Mischanko, Edward T Edward.Mischanko at arcelormittal.com
Sun Apr 24 13:06:19 UTC 2011

Dr. Mills,

Happy Easter.  Thank you for your constructive comments.  I am unable to
run your suggested test because I currently don't have the knowledge and
means to introduce that small of an error.  Through expimentation, I
have found that adjusting the CLOCK_PLL to 1.8 and CLOCK_FLL to .001 has
given great stability to the system clock at polling levels above
8(256).  Changes to CLOCK_LIMIT and CLOCK_PGATE were made to allow for
quicker polling adjustments if they are still needed.  I am incouraging
more testing of the Windows port to verify both my complaint and
possible solution.  The changes I made to ntp_loopfilter.c are global,
but what I am advocating is a change to the Windows port only, because I
have not seen the problem on my FreeBSD stratum 1 server.

#define CLOCK_MAX       .128                    /* default step
threshold (s) */

#define CLOCK_MINSTEP   300.                    /* default stepout
threshold (s) */

#define CLOCK_PANIC     1000.                   /* default panic
threshold (s) */

#define CLOCK_PHI       15e-6                   /* max frequency error
(s/s) */

#define CLOCK_PLL       1.8                     /* PLL loop gain (log2)
*/

#define CLOCK_AVG       8.                      /* parameter averaging
constant */

#define CLOCK_FLL       .001                    /* FLL loop gain */

#define CLOCK_LIMIT     15                      /* poll-adjust threshold
*/

#define CLOCK_PGATE     2.                      /* poll-adjust gate */

Regards,

Ed