[ntp:questions] NTP/Linux Machine Issue

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Tue Apr 26 17:19:47 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-26, Yousif Qaddoura <Yousif.Qaddoura at damanhealth.ae> wrote:
> Dear Support,
>

> I have a NTP server, and configure clients on it.
>
> I am facing an issue that the offset is too much high so there a difference in
>
> the time between the client and the server, it is reaching 1 hour sometimes.
>

> NTP client version:
>
> ntpq 4.2.0a at 1.1190-r<mailto:4.2.0a at 1.1190-r> Thu Oct  5 04:11:36 EDT 2006 (1)
>

> client machine : linux redhat 4.6
>

> [root at dmtestapp1 ~]# ntpq -p
>
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter

> 10.200.37.37    85.91.1.180      3 u   35   64   17    0.898  1194.28 147604.
>
> *LOCAL(0)        LOCAL(0)        10 l   32   64   17    0.000    0.000   0.004

And you have that LOCAL refclock why? Get rid of it. It is a silly idea.
Your system has decided that the local time is better than your server
time. Since local is the clock itself, your system will always discover
that the error is 0. (How it gets a jitter of .004 from the local clock
I have no idea)