[ntp:questions] NTP/Linux Machine Issue

Rob nomail at example.com
Wed Apr 27 08:33:36 UTC 2011

Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) I think you need more than one server line. What if 10.200.37.37
> needs to be taken off-line.  I'd set up at least two ntp servers and
> configure al clients to use both

Of course now others will chime in that you need more than two, and in
the end you will need 9 servers or so.

But this is of course hogwash.  You define what you need.  When you
have one server and it is taken offline, the clients clocks will continue
to run just fine and even quite accurate, as they will continue to apply
the same clock corrections they needed to keep synced to the server.

Many users are not that paranoid about their system time being off by a
millisecond, and having one quite reliable server is just fine.
Of course you monitor the server in your usual monitoring system and
repair it when it is down.