[ntp:questions] NTP server with no network, no GPS signal

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Apr 29 12:26:46 UTC 2011

Cristian Seres wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a solution to install an NTP server in a very
> restricted network which can not be connected to other networks even
> through a firewall because of strict security policy. RS232 and usb
> are ok. Using GPS or DCF77 reference clocks would require a long
> antenna wire to get signal. Installing the antenna cable would be
> expensive, but there is good LAN cabling between a space with good GPS
> signal and the room with high security.
>
> What kind of cheap solutions would you think of? For instance, is it
> possible to feed time signal from one NTP server to another via
> RS232/usb? Or is there an affordable usb/rs232 reference clock which
> has an IP based separate antenna unit?
>
> With best regards,

Get a wifi access point that's supported by OpenWRT and has a USB port.
Install OpenWRT.  Install gpsd and ntpd.  Get a gps USB puck.  Set up
access point in room with good gps reception.  Use the AP as the ntpd
server.  It works quite well and is quite reliable and cheap.

--
My car is Japanese. My Vodka is Russian. My pizza is Italian. My kebab is Turkish. My democracy is Greek. My wine is French. My coffee is Brazilian. My language is English. My movies are American. My music is African. My beers are German. My shirt is Indian. My oil is Saudi Arabian. My tv is Taiwanese. My country's politics are Byzantine. My rifle is Czech. My shoes are Chinese.  My math is Arabic, my writing Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is Mexican?