[ntp:questions] NTP server with no network, no GPS signal

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Fri Apr 29 15:18:27 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-29, Cristian Seres <cristian-2 at contrasec.fi> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a solution to install an NTP server in a very
> restricted network which can not be connected to other networks even
> through a firewall because of strict security policy. RS232 and usb are
> ok. Using GPS or DCF77 reference clocks would require a long antenna
> wire to get signal. Installing the antenna cable would be expensive, but
> there is good LAN cabling between a space with good GPS signal and the
> room with high security.
>
> What kind of cheap solutions would you think of? For instance, is it
> possible to feed time signal from one NTP server to another via
> RS232/usb? Or is there an affordable usb/rs232 reference clock which has
> an IP based separate antenna unit?

If they do not allow a lan connection, they are going to allow you
connect up arbitrary usb/serial stuff? Only if they are totally idiotic.
Note that you can use a lan cable to feed the signal from the GPS to the
computer ( of course it is not used for LAN but is simply a wire along
which the GPS signals travel).
Set up a small cheap old computer be the server placed up where gps
signals are easy, but then that would probably be against policy anyway,
as I am sure would a "ip based antenna unit" ( and no an antenna could
not be ip based. The gps time source could be.)