[ntp:questions] NTP server with no network, no GPS signal

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Apr 29 15:09:13 UTC 2011

> Hi!
>
> I am looking for a solution to install an NTP server in a very
> restricted network which can not be connected to other networks even
> through a firewall because of strict security policy. RS232 and usb are
> ok. Using GPS or DCF77 reference clocks would require a long antenna
> wire to get signal. Installing the antenna cable would be expensive, but
> there is good LAN cabling between a space with good GPS signal and the
> room with high security.
>
> What kind of cheap solutions would you think of? For instance, is it
> possible to feed time signal from one NTP server to another via
> RS232/usb? Or is there an affordable usb/rs232 reference clock which has
> an IP based separate antenna unit?
>
> With best regards,
>
> --
> Cristian Seres

Cristian,

I would consider installing a GPS puck (such as the GPS 18x LVC or Sure
Electronics board) in the antenna space, and use the LAN cabling to
distribute the RS-232 signal with PPS from the GPS to your NTP server PC
(or multiple PCs).  If needed, you could use line drivers and receivers to
improve the signal integrity on a long cable run, and to distribute the
PPS component of the signal to multiple server PCs.

  https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=223
  https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27594&pvID=14555
  http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99

Example of use:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

Once you have one or two stratum-1 servers, the rest can be synced over
the LAN to within a few milliseconds, if that's good enough.

Cheers,
David