[ntp:questions] Checking NTP status quickly

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Apr 30 13:18:28 UTC 2011

I have an application where it would be desirable to check that NTP is
installed and running, and that the offset reported by NTP is within, say,
one second.  So we don't need millisecond precision, just to have a good
idea that the PC's clock is correct within a second or so.  I'm thinking
that a mode-6 packet might do the job, but I have no experience with
control packets.  Is this the right way to go about things?

Thanks,
David