[ntp:questions] Checking NTP status quickly

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 30 16:51:59 UTC 2011

> Sorry, editing flub, the original message was at 13:18 UTC.
>
>> At a minimum to accomplish your stated goal your code should ensure
>> leap != 11 (that's normally displayed by ntpq in octal, so in
>
> Sorry, ntpq uses binary display for leap (and octal for reach).  In
> both cases the on-wire form is decimal.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Noted, and I've passed that on.  Creating a control packet (with no added
buffer) is actually rather easy, and the reply is human-readable, plain
text, which is most helpful.  I will only need to monitor the "offset" and
"leap" fields.  I've passed on the information to the person who actually
needs it, and we are both grateful for your time and replies.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk