[ntp:questions] How to keep fake time in past/future?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 30 23:47:24 UTC 2011

On 4/30/2011 6:07 PM, folkert wrote:
>> How would you implement an NTP server which would need to offer a time
>> set deliberately in past/future, say 365*86400 seconds, or even better -
>> first set the freely chosen date on NTP server and then keep the hours,
>> minutes and seconds in sync with the real time?
>
> http://www.vanheusden.com/time/jans/
>

> Folkert van Heusden

Well, I would start by ensuring that neither the server nor any of its
clients had any way to connect to the internet!

Set the date and time to whatever value you desire.

Then you tell NTPD to use the local clock as the "one true time"

If you DO turn this mess loose on the internet and somebody kills you,
we will all swear that it was justifiable homicide!

You have been warned!!!