[ntp:questions] How to keep fake time in past/future?

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Sat Apr 30 23:46:04 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-30, folkert <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:
>> How would you implement an NTP server which would need to offer a time
>> set deliberately in past/future, say 365*86400 seconds, or even better -
>> first set the freely chosen date on NTP server and then keep the hours,
>> minutes and seconds in sync with the real time?
>
> http://www.vanheusden.com/time/jans/

Oh joy, an instrument to
"You might want to return invalid time when for example you've been in
pool.ntp.org and left it and want users who still use your server to
forcibly stop using your server."

Just what we need--  someone standing there and pissing
into an unclorinated swimming pool others use.
If you do not want to reply to ntp packets, close the port. Don't
pollute the pool.

And it does not indicate that it does what the OP wants-- namely returns
the correct seconds and microseconds, but displaces the time by a set
amount.