[ntp:questions] Sure GPS - Very High Jitter and Offset

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 20:14:07 UTC 2011

ntpd doesn'y "think" anything.  The ref clocks either passes the selection
criteria or not.  ntpd does choose one clock.  It uses all of them that
pass.  Those little symbols are misleading.  All of them that pass
contribute to the solution.

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Ken Link <klink at numberzero.org> wrote:

> If ntpd considers the PPS signal acceptable enough to mark it with an
> 'o', and the NMEA driver uses the PPS signal to "tidy up" the
> timestamp received by the NMEA data (all from the same source), why
> would ntpd think the NMEA data isn't good?

You are asking "Why does ntpd do X?"  The real answer is that it is not
doing "X", it is doing something subtly different from X while at the same
time telling you something different.

I think the status information could be presented in a better way.  For
example the documentation the describes the clock selection algorithm has a
nice diagram with overlapping bars.  It would be great if that digram could
be made in real-time.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California