[ntp:questions] NTP stops responding

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Mon Aug 22 14:38:45 UTC 2011

On 8/21/2011 23:42, David Woolley wrote:
 > A C wrote:
 >> I've got a separate question from the PPS issue. Has anyone
 >> experienced a situation where ntpd stops responding completely?
 >
 > I've never heard of that happening. However, ntpd will stop running if
 > it appears that the local time is off by more than 1000 seconds. This
 > can be disabled for the first setting.

The time was already within a few milliseconds of the available network
clocks but I was using a GPS receiver as one of the available clocks.
However, the PPS isn't working (see the other thread for that issue) so
the log file was full of "kern PPS no signal" messages and eventually
stopped doing anything.  Logging stopped, responses to queries stopped,
everything except an explicit kill.

I removed the GPS refclock completely and so far it's fine.  I'll see
how it looks tomorrow but it seems like the two issues may be related.