[ntp:questions] Fwd: Re: NetBSD GPS/PPS using 4.2.6p3

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Thu Aug 25 17:35:47 UTC 2011

Dave Hart <hart at ntp.org> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 07:52, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> > So it seems like a port contention issue though I don't understand why
>
> It may be specific to NetBSD.  The Windows port of ntpd has special
> code in refclock_open() and tty_open() to duplicate rather than

    I'm running NetBSD 4.0.x i386 with ntp 4.2.4p2 (netbsd 4's
distributed version) using both the NMEA(20) and PPS(22) clocks on the
same port.  No issues.  ntp.conf looks much like what others have
suggested.

    One thing I'm doing differently from the OP is that the
/dev/{gps,pps}1 devices point at dtyXX, rather than ttyXX.  The
difference between the two being that dtyX defaults to CLOCAL (ignore
DCD state), whereas ttyX is ~CLOCAL.  Since PPS is usually on DCD,
this might be relevant.  I have no idea if NTP adjusts CLOCAL on open.