[ntp:questions] Questions about joining pool.ntp.org

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Aug 27 06:27:01 UTC 2011

Hi--

On Aug 26, 2011, at 8:34 PM, NPG wrote:
> What we have.
> An internal host running NTPd and syncing with 2 stratum 2 servers on
> the internet.  All internal hosts syncing with the internal NTP server.
>
> What we plan to do.
> Add 1 more stratum 2 server and 2 stratum 1 servers to the internal
> server's sync list.
> When we are sure that things are working right, make our internal NTP
> server accessible to the internet, and join it to pool.ntp.org.
>
> Do I have the right idea?

Sounds good.  Try to make sure you've got a recent build of NTP,
and consider posting the 'ntpq -pcrv' scoreboard for a review before
joining the pool in case someone catches something.

> Am I missing anything?

When you speak of "internal", that generally implies a host behind
a firewall or router performing NAT.  An NTP server handles huge numbers
of very small packets; poorly configured firewalls which attempt to
preserve state for UDP connections may experience significant problems
(not just extra latency).

Regards,
--
-Chuck