[ntp:questions] Questions about joining pool.ntp.org

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 27 17:16:39 UTC 2011

On 2011-08-27, NPG <nathan at cmpublishers.com> wrote:
> In the near future, we plan to put a public ntp server online and join
> pool.ntp.org.
>
> I think I understand all that needs to be done, but want to bounce it
> off some people who know what they are doing, before this project gets
> underway.
>
> What we have.
> An internal host running NTPd and syncing with 2 stratum 2 servers on
> the internet.  All internal hosts syncing with the internal NTP server.
>
> What we plan to do.
> Add 1 more stratum 2 server and 2 stratum 1 servers to the internal
> server's sync list.
> When we are sure that things are working right, make our internal NTP
> server accessible to the internet, and join it to pool.ntp.org.
>
> Do I have the right idea?
> Am I missing anything?
>
> Long range plans.
> Does anyone know the current price of a meinberg M300 with WWVB receiver.
> I've asked them for a quote, but haven't heard back yet.
> My guess ~ $1,000 - $2,000.

Why would you want to do that? Get a Sure gps receiver for $50 do a bit
of wiring, and get far greater accuracy than from WWV (assuming that the
UK does not proceed with its apparent plans to permanantly block GPS.--
or os that just my own paranoia seeing all of there GPS blocking that
they are doing?:-)