[ntp:questions] Odd behaviour in a multicast setting (bug in ntpd???)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Aug 30 08:35:54 UTC 2011

Hi Marco,
> > While we look a bit deeper, there may be other benefits to trying more
> > recent software on your client machines as well.
>
> That could be. The point is: if I install a newer version on clients,
> I'll have to restart ntpd, and once I restart it, it will probably
> work (like all the other times we restarted them) and tell us nothing
> about the problem.

It is interesting that the problem solves itself after a reboot.  And it
would be even more interesting to try at least one machine with a recent
version of NTP to see if the problem repeats itself.  If that happens,
we'd be very interested in getting to the bottom of the problem.

I did notice that the system that has the problem you mentioned with the
host that does unicast is an outlier...