[ntp:questions] Questions about joining pool.ntp.org

NPG nathan at cmpublishers.com
Tue Aug 30 18:11:56 UTC 2011

On 8/30/2011 2:28 AM, David Lord wrote:

> GPS or other radio time sources are not an essential requirement
> for pool membership.

Correct.

> What is essential is a static ip address,
> reliable 24/7 internet connection and good choice or internet
> ntp servers.

That we have.
:-)
I've implemented the syncing scheme originally mentioned.
I still need to make some internal configuration adjustments before
opening the floodgates and going live.

> Local time sources and GPS just provide a holdover
> period in event of internet outages so that your pool server is
> ready to repond to requests as soon as internet connection is
> re-established

Right, currently the holdover option in the event of losing connectivity
would be the server's stock time chip.
However, that isn't the most desired solution long term.

This group has been a great source of ideas & information in building a
long term plan.

Thank you all.

--
Sincerely,