[ntp:questions] Questions about joining pool.ntp.org

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue Aug 30 18:22:08 UTC 2011

NPG <nathan at cmpublishers.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/2011 2:28 AM, David Lord wrote:
>>
>> GPS or other radio time sources are not an essential requirement
>> for pool membership.
>
> Correct.
>
>> What is essential is a static ip address,
>> reliable 24/7 internet connection and good choice or internet
>> ntp servers.
>
> That we have.
> :-)
> I've implemented the syncing scheme originally mentioned.
> I still need to make some internal configuration adjustments before
> opening the floodgates and going live.

Also make sure that you have no NAT or connection-tracking firewall
between your server and the internet.

(NAT would actually be acceptable when it is a statically configured
one-to-one address translation, not one that ends up building a session
table like a connection-tracking firewall does)

Really, it will break your router or firewall when you try to go live
without make sure this is OK.