[ntp:questions] Ginormous offset and slow convergance

Pete Ashdown pashdown at xmission.com
Thu Dec 1 00:29:27 UTC 2011

unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> writes:

>But how could he get a 16 second offset, after starting out with a .1 s
>and 1 s offset. At 500PPM, 16 sec takes 32000 sec  (10 hr) to accumulate
> which is poll interval 15. Ie, I cannot see how ntpd could have
> allowed that huge an offset to occur.

>In the posts I saw that all of the sources were off by 16 sec, not just
>the Oncore.

I should add that this offset ranges between 60 and 10 seconds upon restart.
I haven't found any correlation as to what causes it other than the system
clock.  What is interesting is that even if I set the system clock with
ntpdate before the start of ntpd, something in ntpd will adjust the system
clock by the offset.  It is like the system clock jumps the offset if I don't
place 127.127.0.1 in the config.