[ntp:questions] Disable the local refclock by default? (Was: Re: ntpdate removal is coming)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Dec 19 19:19:03 UTC 2011

Somebody wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 12:20 PM, Steve Kostecke wrote:
> > You should not be using the Undisciplined Local Clock
> >  (127.127.1.x, aka "LOCAL") unless this ntpd must be
> >  able to serve time to others when no real time sources
> >  are available.
>
> Is there a reason to not use orphan instead in that case?

I'm thinking that for 4.2.8 (and 4.2.7-RSN) it might make sense to
disable the local refclock by default, as most folks *should* be using
orphan mode instead, and with all of the problems caused by the
inappropriate use of the local refclock this change will give folks an
opportunity to fix their configs (or just enable the driver and
reinstall, or just ignore the warning at ntp startup).