[ntp:questions] Accuracy of NTP - Advice Needed

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 23 08:15:53 UTC 2011

"Paul Sobey" <buddha at the-annexe.net> wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.00.1112221841020.9736 at vulcan.the-annexe.net...
> Dear All,
>
> I work for a firm which requires clocks to be synchronised to quite a
> high degree of accuracy.
>
> We have an existing ntp-based infrastructure but want to improve on it
> to the point where the bulk of our hosts are synchronised to single
> digit microseconds of each other if possible. We have about 400 hosts in
> production, spread across about 15 sites.
[]
> I appreciate these may appear to be silly questions with obvious
> answers - I am grateful in advance for your patience, and any research
> sources you may direct me to.
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

Paul,

What OS are your hosts running?  If it's Windows, millisecond, not
microsecond accuracy will be what you can get at best when syncing over
the network.

If you really need microsecond, I suspect you will be looking at a GPS
receiver or two at each site, and distributing the PPS (pulse per second)
signal to each host, and praying that the hosts have a serial port
connection!

Cheers,
David