[ntp:questions] still not able to get NTP to sync on windows 7 even w/ more updated binaries

Gautam Thaker ghthaker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 21:01:04 UTC 2011

On Feb 26, 5:44 am, Dave Hart <daveh... at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://davehart.net/moo/ntpd-QPC-20090614-0900.zip
>
> That represents the last in a series of 4.2.4p6-based private releases
> of mine.

OK, so started to use this 4.2.4p6 version and immediately  saw a
reduction in variations in the "offset" value.

see graphic at:

http://www.atl.external.lmco.com/projects/QoS/documents/feb26_offset.png

I should note a few things:

1) when i switched to this version of ntpd.exe, the ntpq.exe from
4.2.7p98 did not seem to be able to query the daemon.

2) Meingberg Time Service Monitor GUI program was reporting status
(presumably since it is based on 4.2.4 ?)

3) I switched to using ntpq.exe from  4.2.4 that comes w/ Meinberg
install and that ntpq.exe worked ok.

4) while the offset reported has become much less wild I noted that
both 'delay' and 'jitter' values reported are ALWAYS now just "0.977".
This should be an indication that something is not right and thus I
don't know if i can trust the improved "offset" value stability.

Any comments welcome.

Gautam