[ntp:questions] still not able to get NTP to sync on windows 7 even w/ more updated binaries

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Feb 27 08:41:47 UTC 2011

"Gautam Thaker" <ghthaker at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:bbf7043d-935c-4a9d-8b8e-a30d44779058 at 8g2000prb.googlegroups.com...
> On Feb 26, 5:44 am, Dave Hart <daveh... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://davehart.net/moo/ntpd-QPC-20090614-0900.zip
>>
>> That represents the last in a series of 4.2.4p6-based private releases
>> of mine.
>
> OK, so started to use this 4.2.4p6 version and immediately  saw a
> reduction in variations in the "offset" value.
>
> see graphic at:
>
> http://www.atl.external.lmco.com/projects/QoS/documents/feb26_offset.png
>
> I should note a few things:
>
> 1) when i switched to this version of ntpd.exe, the ntpq.exe from
> 4.2.7p98 did not seem to be able to query the daemon.
>
> 2) Meingberg Time Service Monitor GUI program was reporting status
> (presumably since it is based on 4.2.4 ?)
>
> 3) I switched to using ntpq.exe from  4.2.4 that comes w/ Meinberg
> install and that ntpq.exe worked ok.
>
> 4) while the offset reported has become much less wild I noted that
> both 'delay' and 'jitter' values reported are ALWAYS now just "0.977".
> This should be an indication that something is not right and thus I
> don't know if i can trust the improved "offset" value stability.
>
> Any comments welcome.
>
> Gautam

Interesting to compare your:

  http://www.atl.external.lmco.com/projects/QoS/documents/feb26_offset.png

with the earlier:

  http://www.atl.external.lmco.com/projects/QoS/documents/feb24_1.png

It shows just how much better the 4.2.4 version was than the current
version.  I do hope that this will encourage someone to look again at the
code with a view to discovering the differences and making the current
version work as well as the previous operation.  Even if I had the source
code (which I don't), I don't read C well enough, nor do I have the
necessary understanding of the core algorithms.

Maybe one for that Google Summer of Code, which someone was asking about?

(1) is a real pain - why cannot backwards compatibility be provided?  Does
it make the query program too complex?

(4) may just be a function of the lack of interpolation under Vista/Win-7
coupled with the use of a nominal 1000Hz clock (actual interval 0.977ms).
As I understand it, that likely means ntp is working as intended on that
platform.

Cheers,
David