[ntp:questions] NTP client with ability to write Windows NT system time to hardware clock?

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Mon Jan 3 22:59:48 UTC 2011

Dave Hart wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 16:34 PM, Martin Burnicki
> <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de>  wrote:
>>> I have configured the w32time service to start automatically, but it
>>> does not seem to start automatically, so my system time is approximately
>>> 2 minutes behind until I run "net start w32time&&  w32tm /resync" in an
>>> elevated (with administrative privileges) cmd.exe session.
>>
>> So this is already a different problem which should be fixed. Ntpdate should
>> also be able to set the correct system time initially, but I'm not sure the
>> NTP package can even be built for Windows on IA32.
>
> http://davehart.net/ntp/win/x86/ has a lot of evidence that should
> assure you.  By the way, now would be a good time to verify the
> current ntp-dev sources build on VC6 and the result works, as another
> -dev ->  -stable transition is about due.  It's been just over a year
> since 4.2.6 came out, and a lot of good stuff has been introduced in
> 4.2.7.
>
> I am aware of no one else building NTP on Windows using a compiler
> older than Visual Studio 2008 recently, despite highly duplicative and
> maintenance-heavy vc6, vs2003 and vs2005 project files.  I wish there
> were others with access to VC6 reporting problems sooner, but I expect
> once again it will be left to you and I to ping-pong through any vc6
> build issues that have crept up.

I still have my VC6 ISOs, I could load them into a VMware client machine
(I don't expect it to be possible to install VC6 alongside VS2008?).

I have been compiling and uploading new releases of both ntp stable and
-dev about weekly for a while now, but as you noted this has been with
VS2008.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>